New Water Conservation Organization in Chicago
"Water efficiency is a smart, cost-effective solution to the quality and supply challenges facing one of our nation's most precious natural resources," says Administrator Johnson. "Together with partners like the Alliance for Water Efficiency, EPA is promoting the ethic of conserving our water resources -- ensuring the availability of clean water for future generations of Americans."
"We are delighted we could work with stakeholders nationwide to develop the goals and programs for a new national organization focused on water efficiency," says Executive Director Dickinson. "There is extraordinary interest from a wide variety of groups, including water suppliers, government officials, environmentalists, plumbing and appliance manufacturers, irrigation professionals, and building developers to pull together a program of water efficiency options that will benefit the nation as a whole."
Efficient use of water has numerous environmental and economic benefits, including:
- conserving and protecting water supplies
- reducing ground-water depletion and contamination
- reducing pollution
- minimizing the effects of drought
- lowering water bills
- avoiding the need for the construction of new treatment and distribution facilities
- allowing for new growth using existing water resources
- reducing wastewater
- maintaining water flow for fish and aquatic creatures