Terracon Foundation Awards $98K in Grants
Funds Go to a Variety of Universities, Non-Profits
The Terracon Foundation announced $98,300 in community and university grants and scholarships. The foundation acts as the community investment arm of Terracon.
“The recent grants awarded by the Terracon Foundation support a variety of local needs from a diverse group of nonprofit organizations where our employees are actively involved,” says Matt Wheaton, chair of the Terracon Foundation and manager of the environmental department in Terracon’s Seattle office. “These range from helping to educate students in STEM careers to providing state-of-the-art equipment to engineering departments at universities.”
The foundation, as part of its ongoing commitment to higher education, presented grants for graduate-level scholarships, fellowships and programs in the areas of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. During the fall 2018 grant period, it presented a total of $52,500 to seven universities:
- High Point University, High Point, N.C.
- Rice University, Houston, Texas
- Southeastern Louisiana University, Hammond, La.
- University of Arizona, Tucson, Ariz.
- University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, Ark.
- University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, Urbana-Champaign, Ill.
- Virginia Tech Foundation, Blacksburg, Va.
During the same period, it awarded $45,800 in community grants to 15 local, non-profit organizations. Each recipient group was recommended by a Terracon employee involved with the group. Awardees were:
- ACE Mentor Program of America Inc., San Antonio
- ACE Mentor Program of America Inc., Des Moines, Iowa
- Catholic Charities Diocese of Tyler, Luftkin, Texas
- Community Culinary School of Charlotte, Charlotte, N.C.
- Girl Scouts of Eastern Missouri, St. Louis
- Greenspaces, Chattanooga, Tenn.
- Literacy Kansas City, Kansas City, Mo.
- Phoenix Family Housing Corp., Kansas City, Mo.
- Piper Unified School District 203, Kansas City, Kan.
- Plano ISD Education Foundation, Plano, Texas
- Puget Sound Engineering & Science Scholarship Fund, Seattle
- Rotary Club of Tulsa Foundation, Tulsa, Okla.
- SARSEF - Southern Arizona Research, Science and Engineering Foundation, Tucson, Ariz.
- The New Bohemian Innovation Collaborative Inc., Cedar Rapids, Iowa
- Wayside Waifs, Kansas City, Mo.
For more information about the Terracon Foundation, visit www.terracon.com/foundation.
Terracon, an employee-owned engineering consulting firm, has with more than 4,500 employees providing environmental, facilities, geotechnical, and materials services. It is based in Olathe, Kansas, but operates in all 50 states from more than 140 offices. Terracon currently ranks 24th on “Engineering News-Record” list of Top 500 Design Firms. For more information Terracon, visit www.terracon.com.